Levex'edar the Beautiful Earth
The vaekin are one of the most unusual races on Edar, and are by far the most scarce. Born from a human mother always, the vaekin are essentially half-fey. Unlike their otherworldly parent the vaekin’s souls is trapped within a mortal body, and only shows itself during times of great emotional expression. Vaekin are almost always athletic and lithe versions of their human parent, with elongated ears and large almond shaped eyes that become a solid black during emotional expression. Outcast from human society, and unfit to exist in any rare vaecaein society, vaekin are almost always doomed to a life of loneliness despite their unnatural beauty.
- Vaekin count as Half-Elves for determining racial prerequisites. Vaekin are Fey.
- +2 Any Ability score. Vaekin are created from a wide array of vaecaesin parents, and their human half also makes them adept at versatility.
- Outsider: Vaekin are often found to be out of place in most groups and don’t understand people as well as others. People often find them unnerving to interact with as well. Because of this vaekin have a -2 to Pursuade, Bluff, and Handle Animal and Sense Motive checks.
- Gossamer Manipulation: Vaekin have the magical ability to manipulate gossamer, like their parent. The nature of their manipulations depend on the Path that they follow. Each Path presents a different type of manipulation that the vaekin is capable of doing. In addition Vaekin of any Path can use this manipulation to create minor illusions and sounds as the spell Prestidigitation as many times per day as they like. All of these effects last a single round unless otherwise stated. A vaekin can manipulate gossamer Once a day at first level, an an additional time per day every three levels after (1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19. Manipulating Gossamer is a Free Action, and each manipulation lasts one round unless otherwise stated.
Vaekin also select one Path and one of the two Courts that they belong to. As the character levels up they may choose to take the ability corresponding with their level from either their Path or Court list. Each Path ability simulates the vaekin tapping into the power of their fey soul, while Court abilities represent the vaekins standing in their respective court. Because vaekin are such outsiders they are restricted from selecting nation traits and are instead limited to a path.
Gossamer Path: This path is sometimes seen as the normal, or standard path of the vaekin. It is a very general manifestation of fey-like abilities that directly effect the world and the user. Vaekin on this path gain a +2 Bonus to Use Magic Device checks.
- First Level: At this stage those of the gossamer path gain the ability to infuse themselves with world altering gossamer. Each time they use their gossamer shaping they target themselves and add one half of their hit dice, rounded up, to either their next attack, their ac or a skill check.
- Fifth Level: At this level the vaekin can perform an extra number of manipulations a day equal to their CHA Mod. In addition they can also shape the manipulation into beam, wave or blast. Each attack is a full attack that is made at the vaekins full attack bonus and may use their CHA Mod inplace of DEX. Each attack deals d6+CHA MoD in Magic damage to everything in a 60 foot line, 30 foot cone, or 30 foot range 10 foot radius. The vaekin is immune to their own attack.
- Tenth Level: At this state of power the vaekin is almost as skilled at manipulating gossamer as their parent. They have become capable of manipulating gossamer to empower their raw ability. This allows them to use a gossamer manipulation ability to increase one of their physical or mental attributes by one half their hit dice, rounded up.
Dreams and Nightmares Path: This path allows the vaekin to shape gossamer into illusions, or tangible things from the wildest dreams and most terrible nightmares. These gossamer manipulations last for more than one round, and are often determined by the spell effects they simulate. Vaekin along this path get a +2 Bonus to Perception checks.
- First Level: The vaekin is capable of using gossamer manipulations to simulate any first level illusion spell from the sorcerer or wizard spell list.
- Fifth Level: At this level the vaekin is capable of creating things with gossamer taken from the wildest dreams or worst nightmares of his opponents. This allows the vaekin to cast the spell Summon Monster III using their hit dice as the caster level. However, any damage the creature sustains causes the illusion to fade away at the end of the turn. They are also able to manipulate the appearance of this dream creature slightly. Making a bear of shadow, or summoning an eagle of fire. These changes are purely for appearances and provide no modifiers. In addition they are also able to use a gossamer manipulation to read the targets dreams. This acts as a Seek Thoughts spell with the restriction of only being performed while a target is sleeping or dazed.
- Tenth Level: At this level the vaekin has gained the ability to see dreams of people even while they are awake. They are also capable of summoning more powerful illusions capable of taking more damage. This means that creatures summoned by the vaekins gossamer manipulation do not fade away after taking damage.
Emotion Path: This path allows the vaekin to manipulate gossamer to charm other living things and effect their emotions. These vaekin learn to use the emotion they are driven to create to empower them. Vaekin on this Path gain a +2 Bonus to Sense Motive checks.
- First Level: At this level the vaekin has learned to feed off the emotions of others to greater effect. Whenever the vaekin is within thirty feet of any, single, living target they have a passive regeneration of 1. By spending a gossamer manipulation they may increase their regeneration by their CHA or CON Mod or 2, which ever is highest, for a number of rounds equal to their hit dice.
- Fifth Level: The vaekin has learned to manipulate the emotions of others, and may now spend a gossamer manipulation to attempt to change a single targets disposition by one in either direction (Hostile, Aggressive, Neutral, Helpful, Allied) The target makes a Will Save DC ( 10 + Hit Dice + CHA Mod) if they succeed they are immune to this type of gossamer manipulation for a number of rounds equal to the vaekins CHA mod.
- Tenth Level: At this level the vaekin has learned to masterfully manipulate emotions of others and are now capable of shifting the targets emotional state permanently, allowing them to make long lasting allies, or deep seated enemies. In addition the vaekin is capable of becoming an avatar of emotion, giving them a ghostly apperance that embodies the emotion of choice by spending a gossamer manipulation. This transformation increases two of the vaekins abilities by d4+1, they gain Levitation as the spell, and an 30 foot aura of Fear (Fear Effect DC 10+HD+CHA), Courage(Immunity to Fear Effects, 1 To All Saves, 5 to all Skill Checks), Rage (+2 STR, +2 CON, -2 AC) or Tranquility( +2 INT, +2 Wis, -2 Attack and Damage) at their choice.
Elememental Path: This path is taken for vaekin who’s parents were strongly attuned to an element like fire, ice or even light and shadow, giving the vaekin elemental properties and appearances. Vaekin on this Path get a +2 Bonus to Knowledge(Planes) checks.
- First Level: At this level of manifestation the vaekin takes on more elemental like properties. Maybe their skin becomes hot to the touch, or appears to shimmer like they are always wet, or their hair takes on a light absorbing umber. These appearance traits expand and become harder to hide at level ten, and almost impossible at twenty, imposing a -5, and -10 to stealth checks when trying to hide these traits or appear as a human. They choose one elemental type of any kind. They gain resistance 5 to that type of energy. They also choose one of their physical or mental stats to designate as their primary ability. Whenever they use gossamer manipulation they may increase their damage resistance by a number equal to their primary stats modifier or may deal a bonus of elemental damage equal to this stats mod on their next successful attack.
- Fifth Level: At this level of manifestation the elemental vaekin has the ability to cover themselves in the element of their choice. In addition to dealing d4+Stat Mod in elemental damage to those that touch them in this state they may take a full round action to project an attack in either a beam, wave or blast, like the Gossamer Path’s ability. At the same time, however, the elemental vaekin begins to become suitable to the element of choices opposite. Taking twice as much damage from elemental damage that opposes their own.
- Tenth Level: At this level the vaekin is capable of taking the form of their parent elemental form. Increasing their energy resistance to their Hit Dice, and dealing their primary stat + their cha mod in damage on attacks using gossamer manipulation. In addition the vaekin gains a Fly, Burrow, Swim or Climb speed of 60 by using gossamer manipulation. Growing wings of fire, or thrusting themselves through water, or shifting through the earth as if walking. This movement is chosen at 20’th level and cannot be changed. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the vaekins CHA Mod.
Bestial and Nature Path: This path is taken for vaekin who’s parents took the form of a powerful creature of legend be they plant or animal, giving the vaekin beast like or plant-like properties and appearances. Vaekin on this Path gain a +2 Bonus to Knowledge(Nature) checks.
- First Level: At this level the vaekin begins to manifest beast-like properties like extra fur, elongated claws or fangs, or plant-like properties like green skin, leafy hair or bark. These traits increase in appearance as the vaekin gains power, and make it increasingly difficult to hide their nature from others, insuring a -5 and -10 at levels five and ten to appear human, or to hide their traits. The vaekin gains a Natural Attack of their choice from the following list, and gains the necessary appendages needed to perform the attack. When using a gossamer manipulation the appendages become infused with gossamer and are treated as being one size category higher for a number of rounds equal to half the vaekins hit dice, rounded up. They are considered proficient in the form of attack. In addition they can use gossamer manipulation to gain the Scent ability. This ability, however, is limited to sniffing out the vaekins chosen emotion, and not smell. Its effective range is doubled.
- Fifth Level: At this level of manifestation the vaekin’s scent ability becomes useful for sniffing out all manner of emotions, even those he or she is not attuned too and the range is once again doubled. In addition they may choose a second natural attack, or increase the damage modifier of the attack they have currently by one size category. At this level the being inside becomes more prominent, making the vaekin unable to perform skills using Intelligence and receive a -2 Will during their manipulations. At this level the vaekin may also spend a gossamer manipulation to increase their natural armor modifier by half their hit die, rounded down, for a number of rounds equal to half their hit die, rounded down.
- Tenth Level: At this level the vaekin is able to manifest as a single beast or plant form as if using the Beast Shape IV or Plant Shape III when using a gossamer manipulation. This transformation lasts for one minute per use of gossamer manipulation. The target designates a single animal, magical beast, or plant creature when attaining this level.
The Court of Summer: The Court of Summer is the name given to the loose organization of vaecaesin that consume the positive emotion of living things. This court is often seen as the good aligned group, filled with the heroes from tales and legend. Vaekin that belong to the Summer Court remove the negative they receive to Persuade and Handle Animal.
- Fifth Level: Those that choose to instead increase their standing in the Court of Summer gain additional effects that allow them to interact with the world of light and dreams. At this level the vaekin gains the ability to create light as the spell using their gossamer manipulations. They also can manipulate gossamer to remove any negatives from their Charisma and Wisdom Skills.
- Tenth Level: At this level the vaekin has made an lasting impression to the Court of Summer. They may now use their gossamer manipulations to inspire positive emotions in those around them. Any target within sight of the vaekin receives an enchantment bonus to all their Saves equal to the Vaekins CHA Mod. They are also able to use a gossamer manipulation to open any door, latch, window, hole or crack that leads directly to the Court of Summer. As a full round action the vaekin may bring any who hold hands along with him. Using another gossamer manipulation will lead the vaekin and any he brings back to where they entered.
- Twentieth Level: At this level the vaekin is a constant symbol of all this people deem to be heroic, noble and pure. When using gossamer manipulation the vaekin may summon a Satyr to his side. Satyr’s are the guardians of the Summer Court and are sometimes assigned to the most important of court members. The Satyr lasts 2 rounds, but may be sustained by spending addition gossamer manipulations.
The Court of Winter: This is the court that is made up of the vaecaesin who feed off the negative emotions of the living. This court is often seen as the evil aligned group, filled with villains from the legends of the world. Vaekin that choose to be part of the court of winter remove the negative they receive to Bluff and Sense Motive checks.
- Fifth Level: Those that wish to gain standing in the Court of Winters do so for their own reasons, which are usually power, vengeance or greed, but not always. Either way, those that choose to do so gain power in the world of shadow and nightmare. At this level the vaekin gains the ability to create magical darkness as the spell by using a gossamer manipulation. In addition they can use their ability to remove any negative effects that they receive to their Charisma or Wisdom based skills.
- Tenth Level: At this level the vaekin has made a lasting impression with those of the Winter Court. As such he gains the ability to use his gossamer manipulations to inspire negative emotions in those around them. Any target within sight of the vaekin must make a Will Save DC 15 plus the Vaekin’s hit dice, plus Charisma Mod or receives a negative enchantment to all their saves equal to the vaekins CHA Mod. In addition the vaekin can use a gossamer manipulation to open a door, window, crack, latch or hole that leads directly to the Court of Winter. As a full action the target may take any who are holding hands along with them. Using another gossamer manipulation allows the vaekin, and any he brings with him, to return to the place they entered.
- Twentieth Level: At this level of power the Court of Winter recognizes the vaekin as a champion of darkness and despair. When using a gossamer manipulation the vaekin may summon a Blighted Satyr to their side for 2 rounds. The effect can be sustained by spending more gossamer manipulations. These Satyr are dark, aggressive versions of their lighter siblings and act as the guardians of the Winter Court that are often used to enforce rules, or keep and eye on important members.
- Bard: Add +1 to the bard’s total number of bardic performance rounds per day. The exciting life, love of all, and ability to incite emotion through their actions and songs makes the Bard the perfect choice for any Vaekin that wants to live a long life.
- Ranger Add +1 skill rank to the ranger’s animal companion. If the ranger ever replaces his companion, the new companion gains these bonus skill ranks. Being outcast from most society forces some Vaekin to seek companionship and comfort from the wilds, beasts and the adventure it provides, sometimes going so far as to hunt those who shunned them.
- Summoner: Add +1/4 to the eidolon’s evolution pool. Vaekin that follow the path of a summer have a very special connection to the realm of dreams and the gossamer they shape. Their eidolonès are manifestations of their being more than others.